Charles Catteau D.873
Always on the lookout for innovative ideas, Boch Frères recruited Catteau from Nymphenburg in 1906 and the ceramic artist and his family moved to La Louvière. One year later, Catteau was promoted to head up the Atelier de Fantaisie (the Fantasy Studio), the decoration section that he managed until 1948. In parallel with his work at the factory, Catteau taught at the École Industrielle Supérieure, where he trained ceramic artists, glass blowers and decorative painters. In 1910, he was awarded his first gold medal for his work.
Catteau left La Louvière to go to France during the First World War, but later returned and in 1922 remarried, to Suzanne Rose Marie Delatre. Inspired by Art Nouveau and later Art Deco, he initiated a renewal in the shapes, decoration and glazes created at Boch Frères. Catteau and Boch Frères were both awarded prizes for the quality and forms of their industrial creations at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts in 1925 and five years later, Catteau’s work was the big attraction at the Ceramics Pavilion at the International Exhibition of Liege. Catteau retired in 1946 and four years later moved to Nice, where he continued to paint until his death in 1966.
Dimensions: H 10.5" x D 5"
Reference #: O-5415
302 North Martel Avenue
Los Angeles, Ca 90036
© 2019 danajohn302 all rights reserved